Monday, May 23, 2011

101. Thriller - Michael Jackson



101. Thriller - Michael Jackson (1982)  87/100.  I am one of the few people on this earth, that was alive in the 80's, that didn't have Thriller.  It really never appealed to me.  I didn't watch Michael do the moonwalk, I didn't care much about the Thriller video, and didn't even pay attention to the fact that he had a pet chimpanzee until much later in life.  So, this was a first time listen for me.

Having listened to it, I am still on the fence on whether this is really my thing.  I can say, unlike most that would put this in, I don't have the nostalgia for it - since I never listened to it in the 80's.  Well, I didn't own it, it has been all over the radio for 30 years.

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' is still a popular (and decent) track on the radio.  Did he just say, "you're a vegetable"?  WTF?!?

Baby Be Mine was an ok track, nothing flashy and also not going to be memorable.  The Girl is Mine is another popular track on the radio and was probably my favorite from the album.  I wonder how the Jackson/McCartney relationship was two years later when Jackson would outbid McCartney for The Beatles publishing rights to their music - I am guessing that ended all hope for McCartney/Jackson live duet.

If you have never heard Thriller, Beat It, or Billie Jean before, welcome to our world.  We have indoor plumbing, air conditioning, and cookies here - enjoy your stay.  It is nice to hear Vincent Price at the end of Thriller as I was a fan of his movies when they would play on Saturday afternoon (before stations decided that the Saturday afternoon time slot would be better suited for things like bowling, golf, and pool - who the hell watches bowling?)  Beat It's strongest part for me, of course, Eddie Van Halen's guitar work.  Billie Jean is Billie Jean.  I still have no real idea what the hell that song is about.

Human Nature is probably my second favorite on the album.  It is a popular track but not nearly as overplayed as the big three from the album.  Just a nice mellow track.

PYT was ok.  I liked the R&B vibe from The Lady in my Life.

Overall, I give the album merit for taking the pop genre to new heights.  It isn't my kind of music but I can still appreciate it.  I do not ever see myself listening to it again, if it were 1982 who knows but in 2011, not going to happen.  Listened: 5/23/2011
Favorite Tracks: Thriller, Human Nature, The Girl is Mine

No comments:

Post a Comment