Tuesday, May 24, 2011

103. O.G. Original Gangster - Ice-T


103. O.G. Original Gangster - Ice-T (1991) 92/100.  I had heard this a few times in the early 90's and had remembered liking it so I thought I would purchase it on the assumption that I would like it.  I was right.

Ice-T is one of the artists who put gangsta rap on the map in the early 90s and it was this album that brought it to the mainstream.  Not only a great rap album, but gave the introduction of Body Count which would later become the center of controversy for their follow-up album that featured Cop Killer.

This is a classic hip hop album.  It is brilliantly produced and as great a listen now as it was when released twenty years ago.

New Jack Hustler is a great track.  Bitches 2 is another favorite.  O.G. Original Gangster is a classic.  Midnight has been in my mp3 rotation for over a decade (I am a sucker for all things Black Sabbath). Body Count is a nice change of pace.  The Tower is another favorite.  A classic album.

Note: Rage Against the Machine has been a consistent favorite of mine and while Rage formed the same year as Original Gangster, you can hear a lot of O.G.'s influence on them.  Listened: 5/24/2011
Favorite Tracks: New Jack Hustler, Midnight, Body Count

No comments:

Post a Comment