Tuesday, May 24, 2011

102. I Should Coco - Supergrass

102. I Should Coco - Supergrass (1995) 90/100. A first time listen for me.  In fact, I had never even heard of Supergrass.  They initially reminded me of The White Stripes (and yes, I know that Supergrass came out first so The White Stripes would sound more like Supergrass instead of the other way around, but I never heard Supergrass and had heard The White Stripes so deal with it).  I will say, musically Supergrass is a better band than The White Stripes, but again that has nothing to do with anything.

I really liked I Should Coco.  I wasn't expecting much when I turned it on so I was pleasently surprised by it.  I don't mind Britpop - it's not a genre I go out of my way for but also one I don't run away from either.

But, I wouldn't put Supergrass as straight Britpop.  When I think Britpop, I think Oasis and this isn't Oasis.  This has some punk roots that Oasis doesn't and reminded me a little of The Kinks (who they had said was a major musical influence).

Alright was a highlight of the album.  Strange Ones and She's So Loose were good tunes as well.  We're Not Supposed To had some fun psychedelic-esque sound effects that made the song fun, kind of reminded me of Pink Floyd's, Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict.  I really liked Sofa (Of My Lethargy) - a great, mellow (in comparison with the rest of the album) and probably the most Britpoppish sounding track - but still great.  

Overall, the whole album is pretty good.  It made my list of, "To Purchase Albums".  Good stuff.  Listened: 5/24/2011
Favorite Tracks: Alright, Strange Ones, She's So Loose  

No comments:

Post a Comment