Wednesday, April 13, 2011

#91. Imagine - John Lennon

91. Imagine - John Lennon (1971) 97/100.  As strange as it is to say, this was a first-time listen for me.   I knew about half of the songs from other recordings/sources but this was the first time I had heard a couple of the tracks and the first time that I heard the album in its entirety.  I know you are scoffing at me under your breath, and it is well deserved.

Needless to say, John Lennon was one of the most influential and talented songwriters ever so, of course, a solo album highlighting his talent in inevitably going to be fantastic.  This doesn't come up short in that regard.  The funny thing about the album was that it still holds up.  Conceptually Lennon talked political and had a rooted longing for something better but didn't tie it down with timely references or cliches.

Starting from the top, the title track has been heard probably by every human being on this earth who has a radio.  Imagine and Stairway to Heaven are probably the two most played songs on the radio (at least around Chicago).  And, for good reason, it is an outstanding song with a helluva message.  Too bad not much has changed since Lennon's dream in 1971.

Crippled Inside is a solid track and Jealous Guy is a favorite.  For me, things really start picking up with I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier and Gimme Some Truth.  Gimme Some Truth is especially poignant since Lennon was able to describe the state of the world in 2011 in 1971. 

Lennon's anger towards Paul comes out a bit in How Do You Sleep?.  Another, really strong track.  How? is a track I have had in my collection forever but still love.  Finally, Oh Yoko! is a good track, probably the weakest of a great group of songs.

If you never heard it, an absolute must.  Listened: 4/13/2011
Favorite Tracks: All of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment