Thursday, April 14, 2011

#92. Green Onions - Booker T & the M.G.'s

92.  Green Onions - Booker T & the M.G.'s (1962) 90/100.  All it took were the first few notes for me to recognize the title track of Booker T & The M.G.'s.  A first time listen.  I was happy to have left some of the jazz behind and get into some R&B, a lot more my style.

Green Onions did not dissapoint.  A great instrumental album.  Unlike a lot of the jazz I had listened to, this never felt like background fodder while I am eating at a fancy restuarant.  Everyone has their own taste and Booker T & The M.G.'s appeals to mine more than you average jazz musician.

The title track is a great tune, one everyone knows.  Don't believe me...



A few songs later, they would bring back the tune with Mo' Onions, a nice touch that gives a live performance vibe to the album.  I Got a Woman is another great track with some fine organ and guitar.  Twist and Shout was Twist and Shout with a few new hooks to it but pretty standard overall.  Behave Yourself and Stranger on the Shore were good mellow changes of pace from the first group of tunes.  One Who Really Loves You is another great tune.

TIL, Booker T & The M.G.'s (whom I had heard of but never really knew anything about) were much more influential than I ever knew.  Not only were The Beatles big  fans, but over the years they had been asked to play wit some of the biggest names in music including Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and Eric Clapton.  Also, two of them were in the backup band of the 1980's move, The Blues Brothers.

Good stuff.  Highly recommended.  Listened: 4/14/2011
Favorite Tracks: Green Onions/Mo' Onions, Strange on the Shore, Behave Yourself    

No comments:

Post a Comment