Monday, April 18, 2011

#95. Fats Domino - This is Fats


95.  Fats Domino - This is Fats (1956) 84/100.  I had nothing but technical difficulties streaming this but refuse to allow a shitty Web site alter my opinion.  Now that I got that off my chest, I was new to this.  I take that back, I knew Blueberry Hill for three reasons, it was one of those songs that would play on the oldies station all of the time, Richie Cunningham used to sing it during moments of joy on Happy Days, and it is the name of a breakfast joint in LaGrange, IL.

This was pretty cool.  Seeing as this is the second rock n' roll album on the list (chronologically speaking with Elvis being the first), it is a nice introduction to the genre.  Again, as I stated in my Crickets review, I am not sure how the folks over at the 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die went about picking albums.  There could be arguments for other rock n' rollers from the 50's that could be on the list in place of Fats Domino but I digress.

Outside of Blueberry Hill, What's the Reason I'm not Pleasing you is a good song.  I didn't know it when I put it on, but I did know Blue Monday as well.  Another good track.  La-La was pretty good.  I really liked the Fat Man's Hop and Poor Me.  The whole album is pretty standard, piano driven rock n' roll by today's standards.  Good stuff.

TIL, Paul McCartney wrote Lady Madonna in the style of Fats Domino.  Listened: 4/18/2011
Favorite Tracks: Blueberry Hill, La-La, Poor Me 

No comments:

Post a Comment