Thursday, April 14, 2011

#93. Roots - Sepultura

93. Roots - Sepultura (1996) 92/100.  Wow, I went from Booker T & The M.G.'s to Sepultura.  Can you say apples and oranges?

This is another recomendation.  I am new to Sepultura but am a fan of metal so this was a great listen.  It took traditional heavy metal and added a tribal flair to it.  The first thing I thought when I started listening to it was, "wow, Korn was influenced a lot by this."  In fact, I can honestly say that the whole Korn, Deftones, Limp Bizkit era of music in the late 90's would have sounded a lot differently if it weren't for Sepultura.

Doing a little research shows that Sepultura had fallen into the cliche rock n' roll drama that happens to too many good bands.  At this point, I believe only the original bassist is still with the band and the founding members Max and Igor Cavalera have gone on to create a new band.

Roots is the last album made with the original line-up (at least the original line-up that were together for nearly a decade).

Roots was a really good metal album.  Musically, I really enjoyed Ratamahatta and Breed Apart.  Lyrically, the whole album is pretty good.  Straighthate was definitely one of my favorites.  Lookaway and Dusted are phenomenal tracks as well.  Great guitar work in Jasco.  Dictatorshit is also a great track.  Good stuff.  Listened: 4/14/2011
Favorite Tracks: Ratamahatt, Straighthate Breed Apart, Dusted    

No comments:

Post a Comment