Friday, April 15, 2011

#94. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 - Aphex Twin

94. Selected Ambient Works 85-92 - Aphex Twin (1992) 85/100.  First time I had heard of Aphex Twin (the pseudonum for Richard D. James).  As some may know, I have another blog www.geekyclown.com that is, more or less, about video games.  This had a video game music vibe to it so I was instantly intrigued when I put it on.  That and if anyone remembers the "Beyond the Mind's Eye" videos from the 90's, this sounded like music that would be in those movies.  BTW, if you have never checked out the "Beyond the Mind's Eye" videos, they are pretty cool - I'll put one up for you right here.



This is a little hard to review seeing as it is my first experience with ambient techno (with the exception of the background music to the movie Hackers, that was similar).  I guess I should start by saying I liked it.  But, I don't know if I would listen to it too often.  It reminded me a lot of mood music you would hear at a trendy sushi restaurant (I'm looking at you Ra Sushi).

As I was listening to it, the dog was not really digging it.  While trying to sleep there would be one ear popping up and down almost on beat.  Also, the voices that appear in random places on some of the tracks created a mindfuck for me with surround sound.

Pulsewidth and Hellosphan were a good tracks. Green Calx had a video game meets sci-fi movie thing going for it that I dug.  Schottkey 7th Path had a horror movie vibe to it that I really liked.  I wasn't a huge fan of Ptolemy and would probably regard that as my least favorite from the album

The whole album was rather hypnotic and addicting.  Screw it, I now need to have Ra Sushi for dinner even though there are better sushi joints around me just for the ambiance.  Listened: 4/15/2011
Favorite Tracks: Pulsewidth, Schottkey 7th Path, Green Calx  

No comments:

Post a Comment