Friday, February 4, 2011

#50. Modern Dance - Pere Ubu

50. Modern Dance - Pere Ubu (1977) 75/100.  I had never heard of Pere Ubu.  I put it on GrooveShark with a sense of blissful ignorance, and felt a strong WTF feeling wash over me.  I was confused by it.  It was part New Wave (ugh), part rock & roll/blues, part early Syd Barrett experimentation mixed together to create something that resembled some sort of strange experimental dance performed at some hipster coffee house somewhere instead of a rock & roll album.  It was one of those albums where I found myself asking, "is that bagpipes?  Synthesizer?  What the hell is making that noise?"  Being a big fan of Phish, Dead, and the like, I can appreciate experimental music so for me this album was interesting.  But, I couldn't see putting this on at a party and having people go, "this is awesome!"  In fact, my guess is, it would probably make a good portion of those in attendance think that I was on acid.  The Modern Dance was good.  Life Stinks had a little experimentation mixed with punk that was pretty good.  Sentimental Journey is the quintessential WTF song of the album.  It was ok, nothing I would really go out of my way to listen to again.  Listened: 2/4/2011
Favorite Tracks: The Modern Dance, Life Stinks

No comments:

Post a Comment