Friday, February 4, 2011

#49. Moby Grape - Moby Grape

49. Moby Grape - Moby Grape (1967) 92/100.  Brand new to Moby Grape.  I learned (from my good friend Wikipedia) that Skip Spence of Jefferson Airplane fame played guitar for them (and quite well for a drummer IMHO).   After reading up on them, I was a bit ashamed to not have heard of them.  Given, they were before my time but as one who prides himself on being a fan of 1960's American hippiedom and counterculture, not hearing of Moby Grape is a problem.  That has now been rectified.  I do hear some Jefferson Airplane in this (I suppose it has as much to do with the time than anything).  I could make an easy argument that this is a better album than, the more popular, Surrealistic Pillow (reviewed here - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/19-surrealistic-pillow-jefferson.html).   Mr. Blues was a solid, soulful tune.  8:05 was real good.  But, for me, the album really started heating up come Omaha, an out-of-this-world psychadelic tune.  I dug the country/bluegrass feel to Ain't No Use.  Changes was a good, old fashioned, rock & roll track.  A very good album throughout and a must hear for a fan of late 60s rock & roll.  Listened: 2/4/2011
Favorite Tracks: Mr. Blues, 8:05,  Omaha

No comments:

Post a Comment