Thursday, February 24, 2011

#62. Ellington at Newport - Duke Ellington

62.  Ellington at Newport - Duke Ellington (1956) 82/100.  I figured since I am new to jazz, I'd be eclectic and listen to the full 1999 release of all 40 tracks of Duke Ellington at Newport (including the outtakes) instead of the five that were released in 1956.  In track two Duke talks about using a "double-bass drum" and I instantly thought, "wow, Lars Ulrich played with Duke Ellington?"  As I have mentioned in a few earlier posts, my experience with jazz resides in some jams by Phish and the Dead so I would not exactly state that I have a healthy palate for it.  As far as jazz goes, this was good.  I preferred Miles Davis' Birth of Cool (see review here - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/31-birth-of-cool-miles-davis.html).  I really enjoyed Jeep's Blues, Tulip or Turnip, and Diminuendo in Blue and Crescendo in Blue.  I chuckled that there was riot prevention at the end of the concert.  My gen-X mind couldn't wrap itself around how this type of music would inspire riotous behavior.  Different times I suppose (somewhere an old man is going, "damn beatniks").  Since I really have only just gotten my feet wet with jazz while doing this 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die thing, I am by no means able to give this the proper critique a jazz aficionado would.  So to jazz aficionados, all I can say is that I liked it even though, as Professor Frink would say, "no you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do... Mm-hai bw-ha whoa-hoa. The colors children. Mwa-ha-lee."   Shameless plug, check out my list of the best Professor Frink quotes on my other blog here: http://www.geekyclown.com/2010/11/10-best-professor-frink-quotes.html  Listened: 2/24/2011
Favorite Tracks: Diminuendo in Blue and Crescendo in Blue, Jeep's Blues, Tulip or Turnip

No comments:

Post a Comment