Saturday, February 5, 2011

#51. Odelay - Beck

51. Odelay - Beck (1996)  92/100.  This is the second Beck album that I covered (Sea Change being the first - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/21-sea-change-beck.html) and I thought it was a first time listen for me.  That was until I put it in and realized that an old college roommate of mine owned it and used to play it religiously.  That made it both a great listen and nostalgic at the same time.  In my mind it is apples and oranges Beck between Odelay and Sea Change.  Sea Change was very mellow and this was more upbeat with more of a hip-hop vibe courtesy of the Dust Brothers.  I, of course, was familiar with Devils Haircut, The New Pollution, and Where It's At as those were huge singles and played pretty much constantly on alternative radio in the late 90s.  Sissyneck was another favorite.  You can start to hear a little bit of Sea Change in Jack-Ass which made me enjoy it more.  Also, Jack-Ass is a nice break from the hip-hop styles of the album.  Ramshackle is a fun track and the ending annoyed the living hell out of the dog.  A great album throughout.  Listened: 2/5/2011
Favorite Tracks: Pretty much all of it - Jack-Ass and Sissyneck are biggest favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment