Tuesday, February 8, 2011

#53. Picture Book - Simply Red

53. Picture Book - Simply Red (1985) 65/100.  The first notes of this just screamed 80s and it left no question that this was an 80s album, they even mention Reaganomics during Money's Too Tight (To Mention).  Outside of Holding Back the Years, I had not heard any of this so I tried to keep an open mind even though I do have an admitted hatred for 80s pop.  That being said, Come to my Aid wasn't a favorite but Sad Old Red had more of a soul sound to it and started moving things in a better direction.  Heaven is a pretty good mellow track.  I have always liked Holding Back the Years so that was pleasant to hear.  Most of the tracks are a concoction of soul and pop.  I kept being reminded of music I would hear in the doctor's office.  I learned a few things.  One, the band is from Britain.  For some reason I always figured that they were Irish.  Maybe it is the name of the band or the lead singer - who knows.  The other thing I learned is they have a lot of damn albums and Picture Book was the first.  I guess I figured since Holding Back the Years and If You Don't Know Me By Now were the only tracks I had really ever heard from them, they just faded away into obscurity.  Overall, too 80s pop sounding for yours truly.  A good album to pick up if you run a doctor's office and need mood music.  Listened: 2/8/2011.
Favorite Tracks: Holding Back the Years, Heaven  

No comments:

Post a Comment