Tuesday, February 8, 2011

#54. Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes - TV on the Radio

54. Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes - TV on the Radio (2004) 88/100.  Brand new to TV on the Radio.  I am so new to them I didn't even know what type of music they played and didn't bother to look it up, I just threw them on.  Those that are familiar with them probably are laughing to themselves at the fact that I was putting this on cold.  Initially, I thought I was in for a repeat of Modern Dance by Pere Ubu (reviewed here - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/02/50-modern-dance-pere-ubu.html) but it ended up not being nearly as experimental, it just took a few tracks to play for me to get a handle on them.  Dreams was where I started to get what they were doing.  That is also when I started to really enjoy it.  It was different than a lot of the tunes that I have been listening to from this list (but not Pere Ubu different).  It is hard to put words on it - experimental, interesting, and engaging come to mind.   Poppy stands out (probably because it is more upbeat than most the tracks on the album) as does Bomb Yourself and Wear You Out.  Overall, very good and worth a listen.  This will be another album that goes from a listen on Grooveshark to a purchase.  Listened: 2/8/2011.
Favorite Tracks: Dreams, Poppy, Bomb Yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment