Friday, February 18, 2011

#56. The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem

56. The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem (2000) 90/100.  The first thing that irked me about this album was Eminem's reference, one of many, to the Columbine massacre and that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold both had machine gunes (which they didn't) in Remember Me?  I don't know why that bothered me and I really don't know why I would think a hip-hop album would be historically accurate.  In my review of the The Slim Shady LP (see here - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/18-slim-shady-lp-eminem.html), I mention that I am a big fan of The Marhsall Mathers LP and I still am.  However, I hadn't heard it in a few years and found that some of the references in it were overly timely and just didn't have the same effect that it did in the early 2000's.  Brittney Spears and Christina Aguleira had already self imploded and NSync and Insane Clown Posse have become irrelevant (except for maybe a meme about magnets) so his raps on those topics bored me.  Enough complaining.  It was refreshing having less of the Slim Shady character than the The Slim Shady LP.   My favorite track was probably Marshall Mathers as it seemed the most genuine (and the most controversial with the use of some politically incorrect language throughout).  Also, Bitch Please II is a great track.  As a matter of fact, unlike The Slim Shady LP, I can't think of any poor tracks on the whole album.  It is produced better, lyrically better, and (aside from some irrelevant references) a more honest album.  Listened: 2/18/2011
Favorite Tracks: The Way I Am, Marshall Mathers, Bitch Please II

No comments:

Post a Comment