Tuesday, March 1, 2011

#63. Master of Puppets - Metallica

63.  Master of Puppets - Metallica (1986) 98/100.  I am not going to lie and say that this is anywhere near a first time listen for me.  In fact, I have probably heard this album a good thousand times so this was more of a sing along, way to spend an afternoon, type deal for me.  Anyway, Master of Puppets is one of four Metallica albums on the 1001 Albums you Must Hear Before you Die (I previously reviewed Metallica's Black album - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/3-metallica-aka-black-album-metallica.html) and was really disappointed that they excluded Ride the Lightning.  Anyway, this is my favorite Metallica album and easily would make my top ten favorite albums of all time so...it is hard to not give it a glowing review.  Every time that I hear this I wonder what would have become of Metallica if Cliff Burton wouldn't have died.  ...And Justice for All would be a completely different album (you may actually be able to hear the bass).  Black may not have gone so Bob Rock-ish and the Load nightmares may never have been made.  But, hindsight is worthless.  The whole album is good from start to finish.  Master of Puppets, Thing that Should Not Be, and Disposable Heroes stand out among an album of classics.  Listened: 2/27/2011
Favorite Tracks: All of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment