Friday, March 4, 2011

#68. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie

68.  The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie (1972) 91/100.  As a child of the 80's, I don't have a whole lot of experience with David Bowie.  I remember him with Queen doing Under Pressure and doing Dancing in the Streets with Mick Jagger but that was about it.  Oh, I can't forget Space Oddity.  Now that's it.  But, after all I have heard about Ziggy Stardust I was looking forward to sitting down with this.  It was one of three albums that I relistened to right after I heard it (other two being U2 - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/02/55.html and Green Day - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/36-american-idiot-green-day.html) partially because I really enjoyed it and partially because I wanted to try to understand the concept behind the concept album.  It was rather vague but I kind of got it down.  How many drugs did David Bowie do when he came up with his concept of an alien who plays rock to give humanity hope in the last five years of existence remains to be seen.  But, I liked it.  After listening to American Idiot, I could hear how they were influenced by this.  Five Years, Moonage Daydream, Suffagette City were standouts but the whole album was really good.  I highly recommend it.  Listened: 3/4/2011
Favorite Tracks: All of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment