Tuesday, March 29, 2011

85. Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem

85. Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem (2007) 89/100.  I am brand new to LCD Soundsystem and this is another recommended by my friend Mark.  LCD Soundsystem is an interesting blend of dance, electronic, and punk with a little New Wave thrown in.  For this review, I will just go ahead and put down my thoughts as I listen so most will probably be in the present tense (deal with it) as I will be writing the review while listening.  The dance track Get Innoculous! starts out the album and is a solid track.  North American Scum is a stand out and a direction I would love to see the album turn (I guess I am in a punk mood).  Someone Great has a powerful 80's New Wave vibe that I surprisingly didn't mind seeing as I have not had much luck on this list with New Wave music at all.  Perhaps my New Wave shell is starting to crack and by the end of this list I will be walking around looking like Adam Ant.  All My Friends was ok, kind of forgettable but catchy at the same time.  However, I would put it as the low point of the album thus far.  The beat of Us v Them (not to be confused with the Pink Floyd song Us and Them) is great and the lyrics are damn good.  I am finding the songs that seem to lean more on the punk side are standouts for me.  Speaking of which, I really like Watch the Tapes as well.  Some more of that punk feel to it.  Sound of Silver gave me a little bit of a WTF moment. A strong trance feel behind it, which was pretty cool.  I don't really see how it fit in with the rest of the album but I guess that is punk of in itself.  New York, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down really made me think of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.  It just had the type of vibe - Five Years, etc.

Overall, for someone who isn't a big fan of dance music, LCD Soundsystem made the dance tracks, not only listenable, but enjoyable.  There are a lot of types of music and a lot of types of influences on this but put together nicely.  I have to say in the end, I liked this.  I think that I need to give it at least another listen or two before I can make a well informed decision so I may follow this up after I have completed all 1001 with a second review (and a second score) when I can digest the tracks.  Listened: 3/29/2011.
Favorite Tracks: North American Scum, Us v Them, Go Innoculous!



No comments:

Post a Comment