Wednesday, March 30, 2011

87. Joan Baez - Joan Baez



87. Joan Baez - Joan Baez (1960) 85/100.  My only experience with Joan Baez has been from the Woodstock '69 soundtrack and I knew that Forrest Gump's Jenny wanted to be her so to say it is limited is an understatement. This is pretty good.  I am not a complete nOOb to folk music but wouldn't exact call myself a connoisseur either.

I can appreciate her talent on this.  That being said, if you were having a kegger with 25 of your friends, this probably wouldn't be the album that you would throw on, at least not if you would like them to hang around more than through Silver Dagger.  This belongs more in a coffee house hanging with hipsters sipping a latte while chain-smoking Camel Wides.

I liked her version of House of the Rising Sun.  All My Trials is a good tune.  I dug the lyrics to John Riley.  Rake and Rambling Boy reminded me of this....




TIL, Joni Mitchell (who had made a lot of bold statements including Janis Joplin's jealousy of her and that Bob Dylan is a fake and a plagiarist) claims that Joan Baez was so competititve with her that Baez would have broken Mitchell's leg Tonya Harding style in the 60's.  Whether true or not, I found it interesting.

Without Baez, I think later artists such as Tori Amos, Ani DiFranco, and Sarah McLachlan would have been different music.  This is not something I could see msyelf listening to over and over but a good listen when in the right mood.  Listened: 3/30/2011
Favorite Tracks: House of the Rising Sun, All My Trials, John Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment