Thursday, March 3, 2011

#66. Abraxas - Santana

66. Abraxas - Santana (1970) 88/100.  One thing that I would have not have heard when listening to Abraxas prior to taking on this project is the influences of Machito on it (see the review of Machito's Kenya here - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/14-kenya-machito.html).  I am new to Santana.  I knew Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va, and that song the he plays with the dude from Matchbox Twenty but that is pretty much as far as my experience with Carlos Santana goes.  Actually, I take that back, I have a bootleg of him playing with Phish, I believe it is 7/25/92 but am way too lazy to look that up.  Oh, and I saw the Woodstock movie and he was in that.  So, I guess I have a little bit more experience with Santana than I originally thought.  But, I never heard Abraxas before.  It was good.  They are really talented musicians (uh, duh).  TIL, Black Magic Woman was written by Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac and was on their album English Rose two years prior to being on Abraxas.  Also, Oye Como Va was also a cover (Tito Puente in 1963).  That one probably everyone else in the world knew, but I didn't so...what are you gonna do?  Anyway, the two popular tracks (Black Magic Woman, Oye Como Va) were probably my least favorite - more than likely due to them being overly played on Chicago radio.  I really liked the intro and outro (Singing Winds, Crying Beasts and El Nicoya).  I just saw Rusted Root recently and can tell that they were inspired by this album.  Mother's Daughter and Hope You're Feeling Better are other favorites.  Good stuff.  Listened: 3/2/2011
Favorite Tracks: Mother's Daughter, Singing Winds, Crying Beasts, Hope You're Feeling Better

No comments:

Post a Comment