Tuesday, March 15, 2011

#77. Palo Congo - Sabu

77. Palo Congo - Sabu (1957) 84/100.  This is a second trip down the Latin jazz aisle for me and this project.  The first was Machita's Kenya  (http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/14-kenya-machito.html) but this had a different type of groove going on that I enjoyed more than Kenya.  I just dig the conga, it is such a great sounding instrument and a whole album that has the conga as the central instrument is ok in my book.  One small problem is the fact, I couldn't understand one word on the album so I couldn't really judge it on any sort of lyrical merits.   To reiterate what I mentioned in Kenya's review, there are probably a lot of small musical intricacies here (as in most jazz) that are wasted on my non-trained ear.  A good listen.  TIL, he died at age 49 of a gastric ulcer which I didn't know it was possible to die of an ulcer so a double TIL found that about 6,000 Americans die of stomach ulcer-related complications every year.  Listened: 3/15/2011
Favorite Tracks: El Cumbanchero, Choferito-Plena, Aggo Elegua

No comments:

Post a Comment