Wednesday, March 2, 2011

#65. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

65. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys (1990) 96/100.  My second Beastie Boys review (License to Ill here - http://geekyclowns1001albums.blogspot.com/2011/01/15-licensed-to-ill-beastie-boys.html).  As I stated in that review, I am a big fan of the Beastie Boys and Paul's Boutique is my favorite of their albums.  While License to Ill was commercially the Beasties biggest album (and a top ten best selling hip-hop album ever), Paul's Boutique was their most creative album.  And, with pure record executive mentality, it was initially considered a failure due to its inability to have the record sales of its predecessor.  That is why your average record executive is clueless.  Paul's Boutique is just a more solid album than License to Ill, and I was relieved to see that it made the 1001 Albums list.  It is a more complete album from beginning to end.  The Dust Brothers production was near perfect.  The lyrics (while misogynistic and often times childish) were better.  There isn't a bad track on here.  My personal favorites (which it is hard to come up with just a few) are Eggman, High Plains Drifter, and Looking Down the Barrell of a Gun.  But, there are no poor tracks.  Nothing that brings this down (I'm looking at you Fight for Your Right (to Party)).  If you haven't heard it, do.  If you say, "I still like License to Ill better," hang yourself.  A little harsh?  I don't think so.  Listened: 3/1/2011.
Favorite Tracks: All of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment