Thursday, March 17, 2011

#81. Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk


81.  Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk (1957) 75/100. As I just talked about in my Crickets review, there is a lot of jazz on the list in the 50's and 60's.  Thelonious Monk is more of that jazz.  I am going to be honest, this really didin't do much for me.  Maybe I am getting a little burned out on the jazz seeing as it isn't a genre of music I listen to exclusively but I really enjoyed Jimmy Smith and Miles Davis a lot more than Thelonious Monk.  This was just bland in comparison.  Now, to reiterate all of my jazz reviews, if I were a musician, I am sure I would get a lot more out of this than I did.  The saxaphonist for the album mentioned that the title track for the album was so complex, they had to edit the final version together.  I didn't hear that at all.  Later, doing a little research (and by research I mean look it up on Wikipedia (which if you are one of my students, Wikipedia still does not count as research - do as I say, not as I do)) found that this was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame due to its historical significance and was the album that was considered his breakout album.  Not really my cup of tea but I can appreciate the talent of the musicians.  Listened: 3/17/2011
Favorite Tracks: Brillian Colors,   Bemsha Swing

No comments:

Post a Comment