Monday, March 7, 2011

#74. Pyromania - Def Leppard


74.  Pyromania - Def Leppard (1983) 82/100.  Back in 2007, I was out of town, a good two hours from home visiting friends.  One evening, I ended up at a local bar with a some friends including a friend of a friend who was the biggest hippie looking guy I had ever seen in my life.  As the night wore thin (and the alcohol wore on) we decided to hit up another locale and my newly acquainted hippie comrade offered to drive.  I began to look forward to the heady music I was in store for in the car ride to wherever the hell they took me.  We hopped in and started out.  I eased back waiting for my musical bliss to kick in.  But, I was in dismay when I had to ask, "is this Pyromania?"  He turned to me and was like "FUCK YEA" and I was like "HuH?".  That story came to mind when I began to listen to Pyromania this morning.  I like to think of Def Leppard like the movie Roadhouse, you know it is going to be cheesy but you can't help but sit back and enjoy it.  So Pyromania, or Def Leppard when everyone had two arms, was one of those albums that I bought in junior high after Hysteria came out and took the world by storm.  I liked Hysteria so much I had to grab Pyromania.  I hadn't seen my CD since I was probably a sophomore in high school - Metallica, Megadeth, and Guns 'N Roses took over and this poppier, "I wanna rock"-esque 80's music just seemed too tame when compared with Dave Mustaine screaming, "Peace sells...but who's buying."  Overall, I suppose this was a good album.  I always really liked Too Late for Love and Rock of AgesFoolin' isn't too bad, same goes for Die Hard the Hunter.  I could have done without Comin' Under Fire and Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop).  Speaking of which, what was with Def Leppard and using rock in song titles early in their career - On Through the Night: Rock Brigade; Pyromania: Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop); Adrenalize: Let's Get Rocked.  I guess they rocked and wanted everyone to know it.  Listened: 3/7/2011
Favorite Tracks; Too Late for Love, Rock of Ages, Foolin'

1 comment:

  1. I love that Pyromania brings back memories for both of us. Mine is my first, metal = Satan worshiping. My cousin had the cassette tape and one of my aunts told my grandma to throw his music away because it was devil music. She of course based that on the album artwork. I still laugh about it today.

    ReplyDelete