Tuesday, March 29, 2011

#83. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top


83. Tres Hombres - ZZ Top (1973) 90/100.  Another suggestion from a friend and, like most fans of rock n' roll, I am a fan of the pre-long beard, pre-synth ZZ Top.  I was familiar with a bunch of this from covers and, of course, La Grange, one of their most popular, but a good half the album was new to me.

Starts out great with Waitin' for a Bus, a good blues track.  I instantly loved Jesus Just Left Chicago (I was familiar with the Phish cover but it honestly doesn't do ZZ Top's version justice (sorry Page; don't hate on me Phishheads)).  Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers has moments of cheesiness that I found a little distracting but enjoyed the guitar work.  I was new to Master of Sparks and it was pretty good and, for some reason, I was reminded of Foreigner's Double Vision who, in my opinion, was influenced by this track ((Foreigner influenced by ZZ Top) and by influenced, I mean ripped them off - I'm looking at you Lou Gramm).  Hot, Blue and Righteous was a good ballad with a Love Hurts type of vibe to it.  Move Me On Down the Line, Precious and Grace, and Shiek are good, old fashioned rock n' roll tunes played with that "ZZ Top sound".  La Grange, not only named after the town next to mine growing up (Illinois not Texas though), is a classic tune.  How can anyone listen to that without singing along, "a haw, haw, haw, haw"?  Have you Heard? is a great, mellow blues track and ended up being one of my favorites from the album.

Good bluesy rock album that I will be picking up soon.  Listened: 3/29/11
Favorite Tracks: Jesus Just Left Chicago, La Grange, Have You Heard?  

No comments:

Post a Comment