Thursday, March 17, 2011

#80. The Chirping Crickets - The Crickets

Note: Is that Gary Busey as Buddy Holly?  You bet your ass it is!

80. The Chirping Crickets - The Crickets (1957) 90/100.  TIL (because I am ignorant to rock n' roll history, I suppose) Buddy Holly was in a band prior to performing just as Buddy Holly and that the name of that band was The Crickets.  On top of that, some of the most popular songs that I would have attributed to Buddy Holly were actually The Crickets.  So, now that I have shamed my knowledge of 50's rock n' roll, on to the review.  Oh Boy!, Not Fade Away, Maybe Baby, That'll be the Day are all Crickets tracks from The Chirping Crickets.  And, they are all really good classic rock n' roll songs.  It makes me wonder how Buddy Holly was elected to the role of rock n' roll descendant from the 50's and not Big Bopper, Richie Valens, or even Jackie Wilson according to the powers that be at the 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.  There are a lot of jazz albums from that era on the list but not too many classic rock n' roll.  Having grown up with my mom being a big country music fan (a genre of music I am not overly fond of - especially late 80's/early 90's country) we always could compromise my metal and her country with the oldies channel on the radio and stuff like this so I may have a soft spot in my heart for it.  It is that soft spot that made me give it such a high rating.  Not something I would listen to all of the time but really good stuff.  Just great, old fashioned, rock n' roll.  Listened: 3/17/2011
Favorite Tracks: Oh Boy!, Not Fade Away, That'll Be the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment