Monday, January 31, 2011

#36. American Idiot - Green Day

36. American Idiot (2004) - Green Day 94/100.  When I did my review for Dookie, I mentioned that I had heard American Idiot and liked it.  What I should have said was, "I had heard it at a party one time and thought it sounded good but never really listened to it."  That would have been much more appropriate.  I finally sat down with it and I have to say, this is the first album (I hadn't really head before) that I have listened to numerous times before moving on to the next album.  Being a rock opera sucker, I was blown away by Green Day's attempt at it.  Not that the story was really that good (or even made sense at times) but that they made it work.  It was more melodic than their past work and yet kept to their "punk" roots.  I really couldn't come up with a bad song and will listen to it at least one more time, just because I enjoyed it so much, before I can move on.  Perhaps growing up as a suburbanite generation-xer just had this album speak to me more than I would have anticipated but I actually found myself enjoying the (somewhat hard to swallow) characters.  I have to say it was just a fabulous discovery that will be around in my collection probably forever (a discovery apparently the entire rest of the world had already made seeing as it went platinum a good bijillion times and won a Grammy (but who watches the Grammy's)).  Listened - 12/2/10
Favorite Tracks: All of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment