Monday, January 31, 2011

#31. Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis

31. Birth of the Cool (1956) - Miles Davis 85/100.  "If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis."  Now that I got my obligatory Billy Madison quote out of the way, first time listen for me.  Overall, I am new to jazz.  I have listened to some jam bands take their own stab at it but haven't sat down with an album like Miles Davis.  I did already listen to Machito's Kenya and it was interesting to hear the difference between Latin jazz and Miles Davis.  This had more of a sitting in a nice restaurant bar vibe as opposed to Machito who had more of a Carribean thing going on.  Anyway, to the album itself, I thought it was great.  Again, not being a musician myself, there are many an intricacy that I am sure is wasted on me but overall the playing was cool, some fantastically talented musicians worked on this.  Not necessarily an everyday listen for me but I could see myself in a mood to give this another listen.  Good mood music when you sit and program all day.  Listened - 11/30/10
Favorite Tracks: Move, Moon Dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment